WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT US

RESIDENCE
U ČERNÉHO ORLA

The history of this picturesque hotel goes back to the mid-14th century, maybe even further. The earliest mention from the renowned toponymy by Václav Vladivoj Tomek states that a palace for the Mainz archbishop Ludwig stood here at the time. That is the very same building from the Lesser Town legend claiming that the house is dedicated to bliss and happiness.

Located in the historic centre of Prague, 11 stylishly furnished rooms, a restaurant serving renowned Czech cuisine, and a personal, almost familial approach – all of this is the pride of Residence U Černého orla which can be found just a short walk from Charles Bridge, one of the most beautiful Czech sights, and just a five minute walk from the dominant feature of Prague – Prague Castle.

According to legends, when Ludwig once returned from his travels to the Prague royal court, heroes from his retinue chanced upon an eagle that had its claw stuck in a cleft of a rock wall. They set the wild bird free and since then, it would soar overhead and protect the entire group from danger. To show his gratitude, the archbishop had the black eagle with its majestically spread wings immortalized as his house crest. The bird in question has been guarding the house to this very day, albeit in a somewhat altered form – as a double-headed imperial eagle with a crown on its head, a lion on its chest and a sword and sceptre in its claws.

The house had enjoyed prosperity up until 1503 when it suffered a tragic fire and burned to the ground. Fortunately, there was nothing to prevent it from being rebuilt, as two-storey building with a gable, nonetheless; that’s how it’s pictured on a period engraving from 1611. Since then, the house had been flourishing and even managed to survive the Thirty Years‘ War. It was rebuilt yet again in 1723 and gained another storey. Records from the time describe it as having had a taproom on the ground floor, two shops, a yard, a woodshed, and cellar with vaulted ceilings. Thus, the house started to resemble its current form as a family hotel. In 1883, it went through small modifications, especially on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Over several centuries, the house served respected lords such as the above-mentioned archbishop, but also craftsmen from the Lesser Town – a rope-maker used to live here, as did a girdler, furrier, silversmith, and locksmith. Nowadays, the house welcomes guests from all over the world. It became the Residence U Černého orla with 11 double-bedded rooms, one attic suite, and a first-class restaurant – all of which has period decor.

IN THE VERY HEART OF PRAGUE

Prague Castle
Prague Castle

Prague Castle is the most significant Czech castle. It stands on a rocky promontory above the Vltava River in the centre of Prague.

St. Nicholas Church
St. Nicholas Church

St. Nicholas Church is a baroque church in the Lesser Town Square.

Old Town Square
Old Town Square

The Old Town Square is a square in the middle of Old Town and the city’s historic centre.

Charles Bridge

The oldest existing bridge over the Vltava River in Prague, and the second oldest surviving bridge in the Czech Republic.

Charles Bridge
Lesser Town Square

The centre of Lesser Town in Prague. It’s essentially a couple of squares separated by a church.

Lesser Town Square
Rudolfinum gallery

Rudolfinum, is an impressive neo-renaissance building and was designed as a concert hall and gallery.

Rudolfinum gallery

CONTACT

Residence U Černého orla

Mostecká 11, 118 00 Praha 1

+420 257 535 061 reception@residenceprague.cz

Reservation 257 535 065